Maternal Heart Program
Making Pregnancy Possible for Patients with Heart Disease
Texas Children’s Pavilion for Women is making pregnancy possible for women with heart disease through our Maternal Heart Program, an innovative program that optimizes safety and outcomes in these high-risk pregnancies.
Here, you will be cared for by specialists in both high-risk pregnancies and heart disease together in the same visit. This real-time collaboration offers a unique advantage in managing your pregnancy and minimizing your risks every step of the way.
A Proven Approach
Studies have shown specialized care and a collaborative approach are important to managing the increased risks that pregnancy poses to women with heart disease, including:
- Arrhythmias (irregular heart beat)
- Pulmonary edema (excess fluid in the lungs)
- Premature birth
- Poor fetal growth
- A congenital heart defect in your baby
We offer mothers-to-be with heart disease:
- Convenient “one-stop” appointments at the Pavilion for Women for all clinic services except maternal echocardiograms (ECHOs)
- Pre-conception counseling with a maternal-fetal-medicine specialist and a cardiologist, who together can assess your personal risk of pregnancy
- Improved communication and coordination across your medical team, critical success factors in your high-risk pregnancy
- Experts with years of experience treating pregnant women with heart disease
- The most advanced technologies and treatments available for high-risk pregnancies and births, a hallmark of the Pavilion for Women
- New hope for those with congenital or acquired heart problems
- Close collaboration with your obstetrician
- Increased confidence and peace of mind, knowing your medical team is on the same page
- Access to fetal and neonatal specialists, should your baby have any health problems in the womb or after delivery
A Uniquely Qualified Team
Our specialists are highly experienced, with a depth of knowledge unique to our program. You and your baby will benefit from the expert care of:
- Manisha Gandhi, MD, chief of the Maternal-Fetal Clinic at Texas Children’s Pavilion for Women. Dr. Gandhi is a board-certified obstetrician/gynecologist, a maternal-fetal medicine specialist, and associate professor of obstetrics and gynecology at Baylor College of Medicine. Over the past decade, her patients have included numerous women who had their congenital heart defects repaired here at Texas Children’s as a baby, bringing these patients full circle as they reach adulthood and start families of their own.
Advancing Treatment and Outcomes
We do more than help patients have successful pregnancies.
Our specialists are dedicated to ongoing research and education on women’s heart health and pregnancy. We continue to advance the understanding and treatment of these high-risk pregnancies, for healthier moms and children.