Milk Bank Services
Give your baby the best start with breastfeeding
We’re here to help you give your baby a healthy start in life. That’s why we offer you support services through Baby Bistro in the Pavilion for Women and Lactation and Milk Bank Services at Texas Children’s Hospital. Although studies show that exclusive breastfeeding for at least four months provides the greatest benefit, any amount of time that you can breastfeed will help you and your baby.
Health benefits for you and your baby
Mother's milk is best for baby
The breast milk your body makes is designed to produce the nutrients your baby needs to grow and develop. Your milk also contains infection-fighting cells and other benefits not present in formula that give your baby:
- Enhanced brain growth and development
- Lower risk of ear infections, diarrhea, meningitis and respiratory infections
- Lower risk of asthma and eczema
- Lower risk of juvenile-onset diabetes and childhood obesity
Benefits for mom
Breastfeeding can also benefit mom:
- Bonding with your baby: Breastfeeding provides a special time for you and your baby to be together
- Health: Lower risk of ovarian and pre-menopausal breast cancers
- Slimming down: Because your body consumes extra calories to produce breast milk, breastfeeding may help you lose weight after pregnancy
- Saving money: Breastfeeding costs very little; formula is costly
Breastfeeding support and services
- Dedicated nurses
You will have a nurse with you in your private mother-baby room at Texas Children’s Pavilion for Women. The nurse will help you with breastfeeding techniques. She also encourages skin-to-skin contact between you and your baby, which studies show helps breastfeeding go more smoothly.
- Lactation consultants
After you and your newborn have left the hospital, the Baby Bistro is an outpatient clinic available to support you throughout your breastfeeding experience.
- Mothers' Milk Bank
Our milk bank collects, labels, refrigerates and dispenses the milk that you produce. Technicians prepare breast milk for feeding, add fortification as ordered by your baby's doctor if your baby is in the NICU or another patient care area at Texas Children's Hospital.
- Milk donation
If you produce a surplus of milk, you can choose to donate your breast milk to premature infants and newborns in need through a variety of Milk Banks.
- Breast pump rental
You can rent a Medela Symphony® breast pump a breast pump at the Bella Luna in the Pavilion for Women.
- Breastfeeding classes
The Pavilion for Women offers classes on breastfeeding and infant care.
- Contact us
For questions regarding Lactation and Milk Bank Services, please call 832-824-6120 or e-mail us.