Specialized Care at the Pavilion
For every level of need
At Texas Children’s Pavilion for Women, we welcome all referrals for maternal fetal medicine and are honored to be a part of your journey. We look forward to helping you achieve a safe, healthy pregnancy, and ensuring your baby has the healthiest possible start to life.
Our maternal-fetal medicine specialists are experts in caring for high-risk pregnant women and their unborn babies. They work together with your OB/GYN to provide the additional, specialized care you and your baby need, tailored to your unique pregnancy.
How It Works
In general, patients are referred to us for one of three levels of care.
Consultation and Evaluation
- Your OB/GYN may refer you to one of our specialists for evaluation of your pregnancy risks and consultation on the care and management of those risks. Your visit may include advanced diagnostic testing, if needed.
- Your consultation may take place via a Telemedicine visit, at one of our community maternal-fetal medicine clinics or at the Pavilion for Women in the Texas Medical Center.
- Following your visit, we will collaborate with your OB/GYN to develop a plan for managing your pregnancy and minimizing the risks to you and your baby.
- You will be cared for by your primary OB/GYN throughout your pregnancy
- After delivery, you may periodically have appointments with one of our community high-risk pregnancy providers on an as-needed basis.
Specialized Services at the Pavilion for Women
- You may be referred to us to be evaluated for one of our high-risk pregnancy services or programs that are only available at the Pavilion for Women in the Texas Medical Center, such as advanced fetal imaging.
- Your initial evaluation may take place at one of our community maternal-fetal medicine clinics or at the Pavilion for Women.
- Periodic visits to the Pavilion for Women may be required throughout your pregnancy.
- You will remain under the care of your primary OB/GYN for your regular prenatal visits. Working together, we will co-manage your pregnancy for the best care possible.
- After delivery, you may have follow-up appointments with our specialists to monitor your postpartum health, in addition to the postpartum care you receive from your OB/GYN.
Total Obstetric Care
- In pregnancies with more complex maternal or fetal conditions, your OB/GYN may request a complete transfer of care to our high-risk pregnancy specialists. This transfer of care ensures immediate access to the specialists, equipment and facilities you or you baby need, should life-threatening emergencies arise.
- Your regular prenatal visits will take place at the Pavilion for Women with your maternal-fetal medicine team. You may also see other specialists here as needed for you or your baby.
- After delivery, you may have follow-up appointments with our specialists to monitor your postpartum health.
- You will return to your OB/GYN for ongoing care.
Your pregnancy is unique and we treat it that way. Our relationship with you and the treatment provided is driven every step of the way by your needs and the needs of your baby.