Get the latest on vaccine information, in-person appointments, video visits and more. Learn More
The Pregnancy Pelvic Floor Wellness Clinic
The Pregnancy Pelvic Floor Wellness Clinic is a clinic specifically designed to focus on pelvic floor issues that may occur before or after childbirth.
The pelvic floor is a group of muscles and connective tissues that form a bowl-like network of structures between the hip bones, pubic bones and tailbone that hold the bladder, vagina and rectum in place.
Hormonal and physical changes related to pregnancy and delivery can lead to stretching or damage to the muscles, tissue, and nerves within the vagina and pelvis.
You may have a childbirth-related pelvic floor disorder if you are experiencing symptoms such as:
- Delayed wound healing after delivery
- Infection of vaginal tear
- Leakage of urine, bowels, or gas
- Prolonged pain or pressure in your vagina
- Pelvic pressure or feeling of pelvic heaviness
- Problems with peeing or pooping
If you have given birth in the past year and have any of these or similar symptoms, we may be able to help!
Our specialists are experts in the pelvic floor and understand the impact that these problems can have on your quality of life.
What can I expect during my visit?
- Review of your medical history with a focus on your current or most recent pregnancy issues and delivery.
- Evaluation of your pelvic floor symptoms: bladder, bowel, pelvic pressure, pain, wound healing.
- Examination of your pelvic floor by visual inspection usually performed without a speculum. Your exam may include a rectal exam.
- Education on your pelvic floor anatomy.
- Specialized diagnostic testing including 3D ultrasound may be recommended to evaluate the pelvic floor and anal sphincter further.
- Discussion about planning future pregnancy and birth.
Getting here: Our location
The Pregnancy Pelvic Floor Wellness Clinic is located inside Texas Children’s Pavilion for Women in the Texas Medical Center, Suite F320 on Level 3.