A number of birth defects can be detected before birth because of the world-class imaging and diagnostics available at Texas Children’s Fetal Center®.
We perform routine screening for first and second trimester pregnancies, nuchal translucency assessment, detailed anatomic surveys, fetal growth evaluation, and antenatal assessment for obstetrical complications.
Imaging the fetal heart with ultrasound technology to understand the fetal cardiac structure, function and rhythm.
Experienced genetic counselors provide education and support to families regarding the risks, causes and tests related to genetic and fetal conditions. We work with families to:
- Discuss the potential cause(s) of fetal conditions
- Make recommendations for further genetic testing
- Offer modern and comprehensive methods for genetic diagnosis, such as chromosomal microarray analysis
- Offer emerging new genetic tests, such as whole exome sequencing, for the most complex fetal conditions
- Explain the purpose of and meaning of results from complex genetic testing