Get the latest on vaccine information, in-person appointments, video visits and more. Learn More
In the News
Texas Children’s and Baylor physicians at the forefront of nationwide research initiatives for spina bifida (Texas Children's Hospital - 09/03/19)
The Meyer Center for Developmental Pediatrics at Texas Children’s Hospital, Baylor College of Medicine and the Spina Bifida Association recently hosted the Houston Spina Bifida Education Day for patients, families and caregivers.
Fetal Center completes 100th neural tube defect repair surgery (Texas Children's News - 03/25/19)
Almost seven years ago, surgeons with Texas Children’s Fetal Center performed their first in-utero neural tube defect repair surgery. Just a few months ago, some of those same surgeons reached a milestone when they completed their 100th neural tube defect repair.
After surgery in the womb, a baby kicks up hope (The New York Times - 01/15/18)
For a small person who had surgery before he was even born, and who’d just spent an hour and a half squeezing through a tight space that clamped down on his head every few minutes, Baby Boy Royer was showing a feisty spirit.
To mend a birth defect, surgeons operate on the patient within the patient (The New York Times - 10/23/17)
The patient, still inside his mother’s womb, came into focus on flat screens in a darkened operating room. Fingers, toes, the soles of his feet — all exquisite, all perfectly formed.
Our spina bifida and fetal surgery story (Pavilion for Women's Blog - 7/12/17)
It has been a very long road for my husband, Tony, and I to have children. After five years of unexplained infertility that included many tests, medications, fertility treatments, multiple rounds of IVF and, on top of that, two failed adoptions, we found out I was pregnant.
The baby who was ‘born’ twice (Washington Post - 10/26/16)
Margaret Boemer first sensed something was wrong when her ultrasound technician stayed unusually quiet during a routine 16-week prenatal checkup.
- Baby removed from womb for surgery, then returned (CNN.com - 10/20/16)
- Texas baby born twice meeting growth milestones 4 months later (FoxNews.com - 10/26/16)
- Meet the miracle baby who was born twice (Babble.com)
- The baby girl who was "born twice" (CBS News - 10/25/16)
- Baby is 'born twice' at Texas hospital (Reuters - 10/24/16)
- Baby born twice in Houston celebrates 4-month birthday (NBC KPRC 2 - 10/5/16)
- Meet the baby who was born twice (CNN International Facebook - 10/16/16)
- Removed From Womb for Surgery Then Placed Back In Until Birth (People.com - 10/21/16)
- Baby born twice thrives after life-saving surgery (Today.com - 10/21/16)
- Meet the baby who was born twice (CNN.com - 10/20/16)
- Baby 'born twice' after miracle surgery outside womb (The Telegraph, UK - 10/24/16)
- Baby Lynlee 'born twice' after life-saving tumour surgery (BBC - 10/24/16)
- This Baby Was Literally Born Not Once, But Twice (Parents.com)
- Miracle baby celebrates first birthday after surgery in the womb (ABC 13 News - 06/06/17)
- Miracle baby 'born twice' in Houston turns (NBC KPRC 2 - 06/06/17)
- Baby 'Born Twice' After Doctors Removed Her From the Womb For Surgery Celebrates First Birthday (Insideedition.com - 06/07/17)
- Miracle Baby 'Born Twice' Celebrates First Birthday: 'She Is Such a Blessing,' Says Mom (People.com - 06/12/17)
- N. Texas Baby Girl Born Twice Celebrates First Birthday (CBS DFW - 06/30/17)
- My Baby was Born Twice (BBC World Service)
Oluyinka Olutoye's rare medical feat (The Sun - 11/10/16)
It is cheering that a Nigerian pediatric surgeon, Professor Oluyinka Olutoye led a team of surgeons that carried out a surgery that has been generally regarded as a rare medical feat recently in the United States.
Evaluation of the effects of laser tissue welding for spina bifida repair (Science Daily - 1/23/17)
This preliminary study hoped to determine the effects of laser tissue welding on underlying skin and spinal cord tissue. The researchers were interested to see if applying laser energy to coagulate a special albumin compound would damage the underlying skin and/or spinal cord tissue.
Scars unite new mom, son (CNN - 3/8/17)
Mothers and children carry deep bonds, some more obvious than others. Johnna Kerres and her son, Everett, now 5 months old, show theirs in the form of scars.
- See the scars left over from this mother and son's incredible in-utero surgery (BabyCenter.com - 3/14/17)
Specialized procedure helps save twins before birth (ABC 13 KTRK - 3/29/17)
Kristina Kline's twin sons were born a few weeks ago. While they have some time before they're able to go home, their journey getting here was a challenging one.